Yesterday morning Mum and I were poised and prepared to go shopping for university, and I for one was very excited. I have never been as eager to write a list as I was when I sat down – once again at the kitchen table – to compile one on Friday night. As I look at it now, it features 15 items, although I am pretty much certain that I will have overlooked others of considerable importance. I was assisted in my efforts by my laptop, and a blog post written by a past student featuring everything that she had put in and around her room. Some were essentials and others were sentimental in nature, but I obviously focused on getting those in the former category down first – although I’m sure some reminders of home will join them before I move. My beloved Scrabble mug will definitely be accompanying me!
The hastily-scribbled selection of items we took was as follows:
- Notepads and stationery.
- A cheese grater (it may be random for this to be so high up on the list, but Mum insisted I include it before either of us forgot).
- Pots and pans.
- Mugs and glasses.
- Bed sheets, pillows and cushions.
- A doorstop, which is good for sociability.
- Toiletries and towels.
- A bin, unless one is already provided in my room.
- A plentiful supply of wipes.
- A selection of wardrobe additions.
- Any desired oven trays.
- Kitchen utensils.
- A kettle and toaster, if necessary.
- A microwave lid to go over any food (as an afterthought, we did consider that we might actually need a microwave as well when the time comes).
We came home with most of what we were looking for after a day of frantic but inspired trolley dashes that wouldn’t have looked out of place in Supermarket Sweep. The shiny new haul is now waiting patiently in the corner of my room for the big day to arrive in just over a month, but there is still plenty that needs to join it. The acquisition of what remains will depend on seeing the accommodation when I move in – that currently consists of the stationery, bed sheets, doorstop, bin, wipes, kettle and toaster, and the microwave and lid. Extra thought needs to be put into them anyway, and whatever else I might not have considered – I will keep you posted on my progress. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated, so please feel free to comment on this post if you think of anything!